If you already are an entrepreneur or you eager to be one, you are probably aware of all those busy days. You know that you will need days where you would need to be totally concentrated and focused fully on all the obligations the life of an entrepreneur bears.
It is completely understandable that, at some point of your life, physical activities are less important than everything else that happens around you.
Nevertheless, your health has to be the most important to you.
Besides eating regular and healthy, it is of the highest importance to have a daily physical activity. And if not daily then at least 3 times a week.
Of course it is understandable that sometimes you won’t have enough time, but if you make a strict plan and if you reschedule your working day, you will be able to get at least 1-hour of some sort of exercise a day.
Here are some physical activities that Casper Ravn-Sørensen advises you to enroll in if you are an entrepreneur-to-be or already are in those waters for some amount of time.
- Cycling (or mountain biking)
As every Dane, and given that he lives in Copenhagen, which is pretty much the town of bikes, this is the first acivity he would recommend.
And why is that?
- Cycling is actually saving time. Remember all those times that you couldn’t get anywhere on time because of the traffic? Well it would be a thing of the past since with bike, you can go anywhere at any point of the day and not worry about the constant hoking of other peoples’ cars since you can go your own way in a relaxed pace. You can bike to all your meetings without being afraid of not making it on time. And, you will have at least an hour of exercise a day (depending of course, where you are living).
- Mountain biking – well you can figure it out yourself. Mountain biking is awesome, right? And, additionally, it teaches you a thing or two about the entrepreneurship. You can bike alone and learn how to overcome all the tough obstacles (sounds like every day of an entrepreneur, right?)
- You have to pay a special attention to the rocky parts of the trail, and a “no fall” zone which is directly associated with all those highly engaging and sensitive days where you have to pay a special attention to everything you say or do. Some of the things may impact the life of your startup or a company and mountain biking trail is the perfect trail to learn a lot of useful things.
- And last, but not the least. You should always cycle with people that share good energy. It is not about competition. It can be as well, the people who would compete with you would be able to teach you a lot of things. But if you are having a fun time with a group of people whom you are with, it would give even better life-experience than anything else. Even if the trail is risky.
- One of the first reasons why running is the best way to keep in form as an entrepreneur is that it costs nothing. Only thing you need is a pair of sneakers and that is pretty much it. If you are an early bird, you can schedule your day in a way that running is the first thing you do in the morning. Afterwards, you can make yourself a cup of coffee and have a breakfast for champions, because that is what you are.
- If you make a specific route you will be running through, you are making a goal for every day. In that way, you can make small everyday victories right from the start. It will feed your little competitive soul and you will come to your office every morning as a new person with new goals to achieve.
- A similar reason for biking is of course that you can run with your friends, your team, or a group of people that make you happy and will not give up. You should choose people that won’t limit you and your possibilities, and those who are able to follow your goals, not people who will back down to new challenges and opportunities.
- The best way to run is in the park or, if it is possible, in the woods. In that way, you can have a daily touch with nature, out of the office and computers and phone calls that bring frustration to your everyday life. It is kind of a stress relief that we all need to be able to deal with the tough decisions we have to make. And you as an entrepreneur sure can get the most of it.
“Owning a company gives you the opportunity to work for yourself, in a field you enjoy. Working in an industry you are passionate about and with people who give you the confidence and optimism to keep moving forward. You have the power to create the company culture and control how active your company is growing”
- It teaches you patience. Of course, one doesn’t have to learn how to run, you just run, right? Well with golf, first you need time to learn all the rules it encompasses. And it shows exactly the mere nature of an entrepreneur’s life path. You are not born with all the knowledge of how to build a startup or start your own business. At first, you just have an idea. And everything you have to do to make it work is the process of learning. Golf teaches you exactly the same thing. That you have to be calm and patient until you are able to reach the goal (or, to be more precise, to reach the target).
- The other important thing is making the right positioning plan/the right alignment. You have to be prepared to choose the right people who will be around you, for starters. To be able to understand the essence of the people and to choose the task of anyone who wants to be a part of your team.
- The thing that may distract you from the idea of taking golf lessons is how long it lasts. On the first sight, it eats up a lot of your time, and probably you would like to spend that time in your office working on your projects. But still, golf teaches you to focus on important things (the target), and focus to get where you are headed to.
- Yoga and meditation
It is the last thing of Casper Ravn-Sørensen’s list of the physical activities he would advise you to take up. But it is maybe one of the essential activities you need.
- You don’t need some special space, time of the day or the equipment. The only thing you need is a will to make it better for you and for people you are surrounded with. Why? You can do it in your office! Imagine yourself getting a stressful phone call, or having to make a decision your whole idea or a concept depends on. A lot of people are pressuring you to tell what needs to be done. Well, a half an hour (or less) of yoga or meditation speaks for itself. Just get that yoga mat, darken your office, close the door, and take time for yourself. There is no one else who can do it. It’s only you, and believe, it does wonders!
- And it is not just about being alone, it is also about being able to turn off the hectic working environment and all the stressful obligations and open up your mind to be more creative. Not all has to be done under pressure, we all need a moment of peace, especially you as an entrepreneur.
- Just as running, yoga and meditation will improve the quality of your sleep in long terms. You don’t need to sleep 8-10 hours a day (you don’t have those hours, right?) So, instead of sitting and wining about not getting enough sleep, just practice yoga and meditation regularly, and you will feel so much better with just 5-6 hours a sleep a day!